Transcript of the Obituary of Barbara Coon, With Notes
The New Castle Courier, New Castle, Indiana, 29 September 1882, p. 2, col. 4.1
BABARA [sic] COON
Was born in Harrison county, West Virginia, about the year 1805. Died at her son’s on Duck Creek, September 7, 1882.2,3 Aged, about 77 years. Some thirty years ago she joined the Baptist church; held her connection with the same and lived in the faith till death. Her husband, Coonrod S. Coon, preceded her to the tomb some twenty-one years ago. Since that time she has lived a widow. Her remains were taken to the Harlin4 church, on Sugar Creek, in Hancock county, where religions5 services were conducted by Seth Stafford, and she was laid to rest in the graveyard near by6.
Two days later the infant son of James Coon died and was taken to the same place.7
- S. S.
1. “Babara [sic] Coon,” obituary, The New Castle (Indiana) Courier, 29 September 1882, p. 2, col. 4.
2. The only one of her sons who lived in Henry County in Greensboro Township (on Duck Creek) in the 1880 U.S. population schedule was James.
3. The record of her death in the Henry County, Indiana, Health Department gives the date as 2 September 1882. See Henry County Deaths Book CSS-1, p. 13, no. 163, Henry County Health Department, New Castle, Indiana. The death record book does not contain original records. It is a book of handwritten abstracts of deaths. The sources are not given. See abstract here.
4. Error in original. The correct spelling of the church and cemetery is Harlan.
5. Error in original.
6. Error in original.
7. Although it does not specify, this is probably Barbara’s son James Coon’s infant.